Friday, December 5, 2008

Mantel

I thought the mantel needed some "sprucin' " up. I have sort of coveted these little Alpine trees for a few years. I think they would look super cool outdoors at the front door. But we are not big into deckin' the outside of the house, as we are inside of it most of the time.

I got this picture from our wedding reception enlarged a month ago and it doesn't really work for the "hole in the wall" on the stair way, like I intended for it. But it works really cool on the mantel. I don't think it will stay there; probably it is headed to a bedroom wall. But anyway, when I got it enlarged through a company online, I never noticed the special feature in the back; Jerry is making bunny ears on Mary's head. The framers thought it might affect my decision to get it framed; NO WAY! It makes it more like my family. At least Jerry wasn't popping someone's bra. (Story for later.)

I ended up putting about a zillion white lights on our Christmas tree when we decorated last weekend, and actually ran out at the top. We got a 9 ft tree since we have no ceiling and KK likes trees. But KK didn't plan on THAT many lights. Plus she was laying them on really thick. God bless Home Depot, right around the corner. I ran out there and also found these funkadelic retro star lights. I had no destination for them, but they were too cool to pass up. So I ended up stringing them on the mantel. This picture was taken in daylight; take my word for it, they are much cooler in the dark. Same for the Christmas tree. They just photograph so poorly with flash. Someone tell me how to take that kind of shot with a digital camera.

2 comments:

Watoosa said...

Try the night setting for the tree. The shutter speed is super slow, so you'll probably have to prop the hand holding the camera on something so it doesn't move AT ALL. I used the night flash to get some great cathedral interiors, which have always been impossible before.
I love all the decorations. I think the stair rail garland is my favorite.
I need to post some photos of ours. Maybe I'll go get a photo of the lights on the porch now since we've got snow to go with it.

Jackamo said...

I love your sassy decorations. I second Watoosa's vote that the stair rail garland is my favorite. I made a wreath like that in elementary school, except it was with those chewy Brach's peppermints instead of beads. Your's is way prettier. Mine probably tasted better.

Post a Comment