Tuesday, December 2, 2008

KK Goes Crafty

I got some crazy idea to continue my crafty pursuits and make a wreath. After crusing through the Martha Stewart website, I picked this really cool red bead wreath that I considered sort of modern and hip. I saw some reviews of this project; some people loved it, some thought it cost too much (they didn't research any options, I'm sure), and some thought it was too time-consuming. I should have listened to some of those people.

I decided to do this project during Thanksgiving week, since I was not working in the day and Shaw was supposed to be working. He ended up getting my cold that I wore the whole week before, and ALSO took vacation that week. This little project took a lot of time, more than expected, but was really sort of fun. I don't think it would be a project for people with little kids in the house, due to all those straight pins, but medium-aged kids should be ok. It was originally for an 8 inch wreath, but I think I bought a 12 inch. That made it take... er.. last, a lot longer.

You first stick all your pins in some styrofoam and paint the tops with red nail polish. Then wrap the wreath styrofoam with some sort of red material (I used blanket binding, nice and satiny). Then start pinning all those beads on; I used 12mm, 10mm, 8mm and 6 mm in different materials. Some are opaque, some translucent, some ruby colored, and some just plain red. You also have to dip the pins in glue to get the beads to stay on. I will not even begin to count up the hours it took, but my fingertips can attest to their use.

I do love my little wreath! In it's current home, it is hung with the remainder of the blanket binding over the rail on our half wall at the top of the stairs. I'd love it, but I think a spot light on it would be a bit much. Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment