Sunday, May 17, 2009

Torture, or Revenge?

I have been learning to sew. Teaching yourself is really hard, but gets easier the more proper tools one acquires. Sewing for yourself is really hard to adjust; somehow pinning things to yourself and standing back from yourself and looking at yourself is all so difficult. You need a dressmaker dummy for that.

I have been researching making a dressmaker dummy online for a few weeks now. Several sites were helpful, but reading them all made it a bit easier. I suckered Shaw into helping me; Shaw is a VERY GOOD HUSBAND/SPORT.

Two rolls of duct tape later, we finished in about two and a half hours. I haven't stuffed it yet, but the form is totally assembled. Here are some entertaining pictures Shaw took of the process.

We started with an old undershirt, cut and taped up to be more form fitting, and added more of another shirt to the bottom for length. The first two layers are in black duct tape. (Did you know they made duct tape in colors?)

The next is my favorite. Just more tape than the last one. The whole top part of me is encased in black duct tape, and although I am holding scissors in a stylish fashion, what you don't know is I can't move my arms up or down and it was my only option.





Hours later, the final layer was white duct tape. I was pretty tired of standing perfectly still at this point in the process, so I used the wall for support.




I've got to name this little thing now and start sewing something. I can't call it a Mini Me since it is the same size. And now that I know the exact size of my backside, we've started exercising in the mornings again. Argh!

1 comment:

Watoosa said...

You look pretty hot in that black duct tape top. You look like a femme-bot. You could wear it to a club.

Post a Comment