Monday, May 18, 2009

Grecos

Sorry. Been travelling around. Just cooking repeats for awhile.

However, tonight we had Greek-ish tacos, or Grecos as I will call them from now on. I think the recipe came from epicurious, but we made a few changes to keep it real.
We are not red onion people, so I omitted that first thing. And I really like the convenience aspect of this one, as I have discovered the rotisserie chickens in our pretentious grocery store. We took the advice of the article and used the carcass for stock. Lots of stock.
The recipe calls for naan which I couldn't remember to pick up in the pretentious grocery, and our humdrum grocery didn't have it. I used some sort of flatbread, wrap like product, which worked fine. I just cut them in half and didn't toast them for too long in the oven.
I think this would work with Greek-ified pork or lamb, too.
Grecos (or Greek Chicken Gyros)

Rotisserie chicken, picked clean of meat, and carcass reserved for stock
1 1/2 c greek yogurt
2 seedless cucumbers
4-5 garlic cloves
lemon juice
1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
1/4 c mint, minced
1/3 c parsley
diced red onion (or not)
1/3 c olive oil
1 t dried rosemary
1 t dried oregano
naan, unpocketed pita, or flatbread of some sort
iceberg lettuce, shredded

Peel and grate one cucumber. Squeeze out all excess water and place in a medium bowl. Add the yogurt, 1/2 t lemon juice, salt and pepper, and about 1-2 cloves worth of garlic. (You have just made tzaziki.) Set aside.

Dice the other cucumber in 1/4 inch pieces and place in a medium bowl. Add the tomatoes, mint, parsley, red onion if you must, salt and pepper and some more lemon juice. Set aside.

In a small skillet, heat the oil and add the rest of the garlic and the dried herbs. Cook 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Toss about 3 T of this with the shredded chicken. Use the rest to brush on the bread.

Heat oven broiler. Brush oil on the bread, put the bread on a sheet pan and cover with foil. Heat 3 minutes, then remove foil and let it brown until some dark spots appear.

Assemble the Grecos: Place the chicken on the bread, then top with the tzaziki, salsa and shredded lettuce.



1 comment:

Watoosa said...

I would love these. If only my dummie-head husband liked cucumbers and tomatoes. Although he eats my tzakiki and I put cucumbers in that.
I always make stock with my rotisserie chicken carcasses too.

Post a Comment