Monday, October 13, 2008

And the Oscar goes to...


Francis Ford Coppola, hands down. We have enjoyed his budget red wine, Rosso, for a few years now. Cruising through Goody Goody a few weeks ago, KK was scouting out some new zinfandels. Just a random selection (mostly for the bizarre labeling), I picked up this Director's Cut Zinfandel by Coppola for about $18. The label is a zoetrope (early animation/film style of image series), an homage to his filmmaking.


What an unexpected pleasure it was, even on the first taste. Not too spicy, just right. And lots of fruit. We had it with burgers and sweet potato fries in ginger-curry oil. I think it would be wonderful with Italian food, but it hardly pens it self in to just one ethnic group. It held up very well with beef, and the extra sharp cheddar on the burgers was a fantastic match.

It is a bit past our everyday wine budget, but for a weekend meal, it was spectacular. We will definitely pick up more of these. I believe Coppola also makes a Director's Cut Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Cabernet. I can't speak towards those specifically, but this Zinfandel tastes out of the park.

2 comments:

Jackamo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackamo said...

How the heck do I make the cut for the blog list? You're on mine. Do I have to be a blood relative?? I see how you are. Cold. So cold.

Post a Comment