Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuscan Tuna and Bean Sandwiches

My picture of this was not nearly as attractive as the one in Gourmet, so I will not humiliate myself by adding it. I found this combination yummy, much nicer than regular mayo-ish tuna sandwiches. And excellent with a rosé...

For Beans:
1 (14 to 15 oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I found this was too much)
1 T fresh lemon juice
2 T olive oil (not sure how much I actually added, just be wise)
2 T chopped fresh parsley or basil (or both!)
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper, freshly ground

Coarsely mash the beans, then stir in everything else.

For Tuna Salad:
2 (6 oz) cans Italian tuna in olive oil (NOT veg oil)
2 T finely chopped basil or parsley (or both!)
1/4 c pitted brine-cured black olives, chopped fine
1 celery rib, finely chopped
2 T red onion, finely chopped (or omitted altogether- too strong!)
2 T olive oil
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/4 t each, salt and pepper

Flake tuna in a bowl then add everything else.
Spoon one fourth of the bean spread on 1 slice of really good bread, then t op with one fourth of tuna, some watercress (or arugula), and another slice of bread.

1 comment:

Watoosa said...

Yum. It all sounds good, but I think I'd be happy just having the bean spread on toast or crackers.

Post a Comment