Thursday, May 1, 2008

What Could Be Better Than S'mores?

More s'mores, that's what. I started my s'mores addiction a few years ago after Mom had a cookout with hotdogs and s'mores. The hotdogs were fine, but did not develop into a regular habit. The s'mores, however, did. And boy is it strong.

I have s'mores pretty much every night. But not with Hershey's. I finely chop dark, 72% or greater chocolate and pile it on a graham cracker. Top it with half a marshmallow (only JetPuffed are worth the time), and microwave it for 30 seconds. It'll make you cry, or slap yourself.

I recently read an email from America's Test Kitchen that contained a recipe for 15-minute Rocky Road Fudge and thought to myself, "Hmmmm, couldn't I make that into S'mores Fudge?" And I answered myself the other night: yes, yes I can.

I would have provided a picture, but my camera batteries are "exhausted." No picture is really necessary, as everyone knows what fudge looks like, and no one can look at this fudge for any length of time without eating it.

15-Minute Rocky Road or S'mores Fudge

16 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
1/2 t baking soda
1/8 t table salt
1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 T vanilla extract
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 c chopped salted peanuts (or chopped graham crackers for the S'mores version)
1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips

Line an 8 inch square baking dish with foil, allowing plenty to overhang on each side. Spray foil with cooking spray or rub with butter.

Toss chopped chocolate bits, baking soda and salt in a medium heatproof (glass or metal) bowl until evenly distributed. Stir in condensed milk and vanilla. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until chocolate is mostly melted (about 2-5 minutes).

Remove from heat and continue to stir until fully melted and mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in marshmallows, chocolate chips and either graham bits or peanuts. Transfer fudge to prepared pan and spread in an even layer. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Remove fudge from pan using foil and cut into squares.

1 comment:

Watoosa said...

Though Ick and I aren't fudge fans, I might have to try this. I love smores, and this sounds so easy. (I also love hot dogs and every manner of sausage.)

Post a Comment