Saturday, October 20, 2007

Laaaaaamb, First Attempt

Perhaps this is not the sexiest picture, but we can tell you it was enjoyable to eat.

We have never had lamb before, either of us. I have always said I do not like lamb, mostly because I think of goat meat as something gray and gristley, and goats are sort of like lambs. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong here, but it keeps me from eating mystery meat. Anyway, we decided to try these Lamb Burgers a week ago. And I know I have some lamb lovers in the family, so eat up. This recipe is from Cooking Light, so they mix the lamb with ground turkey. Feel free to use all lamb, you crazy lamb lovers. The herbs to heavily influence the flavor, so I'm still not sure I could recognize lamb if I had it again.

Greek Lamb Burgers

1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese
1 T. chopped fresh rosemary
2 t. lemon zest
2 t. chopped fresh oregano
1/2 t. salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 lb. lean ground lamb
3/4 lb. ground turkey breast
Cooking spray
3 (6 in.) pitas, cut in half
6 T. tzatziki sauce or plain yogurt
tomatoes, sliced
lettuce, shredded

Prepare grill, or skillet. Combine first 8 ingredients. Divide mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2 in. thick patty with a deep thumbprint in the center. Place patties on grill on in skillet, about 6 minutes each side, or until a thermometer registers 165 degrees. Remove and let stand 5 minutes. Place one patty in each pita half, tuck in tomato slices and lettuce and drizzle with sauce or plain yogurt.


We had these with home-baked fries, just to be more yummy, and a Pinot Noir.

No comments:

Post a Comment