Friday, July 6, 2007

Carmen Miranda Would Be Proud

(KK:) Most of you know, I hate melon. Watermelon, honeydew melon, melon candy, cantaloupe, even papaya gets to me. Melon is probably one of the foods I cannot even fake in public. You know, you're at some gathering and Melon Something Or Other is served; most people would be okay, since melon "doesn't have much flavor." I cannot do it. Not even on my plate to be pushed around and toyed with. Its juice would taint something worth of my taste buds.
Sometimes this bothers people. Mom: "What would a piece of watermelon ever do to harm you? Just try it, this one's really good." Chris: "[insert anything taunting and menacing, with watermelon]". However, if the melon of the moment really IS good, they don't offer it at all. That's how I know. They were trying to set me up. I just hate it, and there are so many wonderful foods out there that could use my attention. Like cucumber. And that leaves more melon for the rest.

Anyhoo, I saw this recipe for a fruit salad (Ginger, Honeydew, Mango, Blueberry Salad) from an email from Cook's Illustrated and I thought: "Hmm, I hate melon, but this looks really good for the melon-loving population. I could take it somewhere for melon-lovers!" Which is what I'm going to do. I made it up today and the syrup alone smelled like I started a Lime Sherbet factory in my kitchen. I can't tell you how it tastes because I won't taste melon. But it smells pretty good. And its probably the prettiest combination of colors ever imagined with fruit. Maybe. I'm taking it to a family brunch tomorrow, so I'll let y'all know how it's received.
Ginger, Honeydew, Mango and Blueberry Salad (Cook's Illustrated, as is)
1T. lime zest (about 4 limes)
1c. lime juice (additional 3-4 limes)
1/4 c. sugar
pinch salt
1 inch ginger, peeled and minced (1T.)
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 small honeydew, cut in 1 in. pieces (2 c.)
1 mango, in 1/2 in. pieces (1.5 c.)
1 pint blueberries
Zest limes while you can, and mince ginger. On high heat, melt sugar and lime juice and salt, about 15 minutes until honey-colored. Off heat, add zest, ginger and lemon juice; steep 1 minute then strain. Toss with fruit and chill 4hrs or serve immediately.
KK version: I did all that, but added a cantaloupe and papaya, plus doubled the other fruit as we needed fruit for a crowd. I chopped the fruit all up while the syrup was boiling. Then when the syrup was done, I just strained it right over the fruit. I love to save a bowl. It does really smell good. Hope it lasts till the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment